Our useful checklist gives tips for what you can do if your child is an early riser.
Early rising is a common sleep issue. Have you considered or are you already doing the following?
- Is your child waking due to a noise?
- Is the room dark? If not, do you have a black out blind?
- Is your child going to bed at the same time every night?
- Does your child have a way of knowing when it’s an acceptable time to get up? ( e.g. a clock of some kind)
- If your child is over 3, have they stopped having naptime?
- If your child is under 3, have you tried reducing naptime?
- Are you unintentionally rewarding them when they get up early by letting them come into your bed or taking them downstairs?
- Have you tried using a reward chart for your child staying in their room until an acceptable time?
- Do you have anything in the child’s room that they can do quietly if there is no chance of them going back to sleep?
- Have you minimised anything in the room that is noisy or overly stimulating for your child?
Cerebra’s sleep practitioners can advise on a range of sleep issues in children, such as settling difficulty, night waking, early rising, sleeping alone, bedwetting, night terrors and anxiety. Visit our sleep pages to find out more.